Monday, March 30, 2009

Unwind

My sister gave me this book to read because it was so good that she couldn’t put down since I know she doesn’t normally read I thought I would read it too to see what it is about. It is a different world where there is the chance to unwind you child, stoking happens, and life intertwines.
Even thought it is fiction, it portrays how the world is about things and how different things are. If you have an open mind you can see all points.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Connor’s parents don’t want him because he is a trouble maker. Risa is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev’s unwinding has been planned since birth. They were brought together by chance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday they can not be harmed.
In this world there is a Bill of Life that states a human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen but between the ages of thirteen and eighteen a parent may choose to retroactively “abort” a child. The process by which a child is both terminated and yet kept alive is called “unwinding” and is a common and accepted practice. They are donors.

Acknowledgement
Proving that fiction is all too often one rationalization away from reality.

___lines from the book that I like_____

Even good dreams are bad, because they remind you how poorly reality measures up.
There are no wrong thoughts, only thoughts that need to be worked through and overcome.
If a baby was going to be so unloved, why would God want it brought into the world?
In a perfect world everything would be either black or white, right or wrong, and everyone would know the difference. But this is not a perfect world. The problem is people who think it is.
Please be a human being. With a life so full of rules and regiments, it’s so easy to forget that’s what they are. She knows, she sees, how often compassion takes a back seat to expediency.
You don’t undo thirteen years of brainwashing in two days.
One thing you learn when you’ve lived as long as I have –people aren’t all good, and people aren’t all that bad. We move in and out of darkness and light all of our lives. Right now I’m pleased to be in the light.
Ain’t no one gonna tell you what’s in your heart, you gotta find out yourself. Ain’t no one can tell you it’s the wrong thing to do. The good Lord wouldn’t have put it in your heart if it wasn’t right.
I make my own roads in life.
My parents do everything they’re supposed to. They pay their taxes. They go to church. They vote the way their friends expect them to vote, and think what they’re supposed to think, they send us to schools that raise us to think exactly like they do.
Leave the past in the past, live in the moment.
The devil you know is better than the one you don’t.
I don’t think unwinding is a bad thing; I just don’t want it to happen to me.
So it’s all right if it happens to us but not if it happens to you?
You might think I’m stupid, but I gotta good reason for the way I feel.
It’s only the Law because a whole lot of people thought about it, and decided it made since.
What Law is: educated guesses at right and wrong.
Wherever his journey now takes him, it doesn’t matter, because he has already arrived there in his heart.
The Admiral of the Graveyard Rules
1) You arrived here by necessity. You stay here by choice.
2) Surviving has earned you the right to be respected.
3) My way is the only way
4) Your life is my gift to you. Treat it like one.
5) You are better than those who would unwind you. Rise to the occasion.
6) Everyone in the graveyard contributes. No exceptions.
7) Teenage rebellion is for suburban school children. Get over it.
8) Hormones will not rule my desert
9) At eighteen you cease to be my concern.
10) Make something of yourself. This is an order.
I’m a better person because you’re in my head.
A conflict always beings with an issue, a difference of opinion, an argument. But by the time it turns into a war, the issue doesn’t matter anymore, because now it’s about one thing and one thing only: how much each side hates the other.
He will only do the wrong thing when it’s the right thing to do.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace: but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2
“Two thins are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” –Albert Einstein
I have to believe that things happen for a reason.
That was a good book. They do go through the unwinding process and that made me sick. That is a fucked up world and I hope our society doesn’t come down to that. Even though our society isn’t as crazy and like that it does show how people are and how different we can be. Just because it is different does not make it right or wrong, it’s just different. People need to be open to the difference and truly know both sides. It shows you how we can be with things and it’s just not right. But people are always changing and stupidity is infinite.
If you are not an arrogant person you should read this book!!! It is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment